If you are a budding photographer and you want to turn your hobby into a profession with the right camera, this article is for you. Photography is an art. It requires a lot of practice, hard work, and a decent investment, most of which is spent on acquiring a good camera.
Professional photographers who have made a hobby their main job need expensive equipment that not only has high performance but also includes a number of fine and often completely redundant features and settings. However, if you are just starting out with photography or vlogging you will need to know what features you need from your camera and most importantly which are the best devices in the market.
We will give you the parameters you need to pay attention to when you are searching for a camera and also list 10 of the best cameras for budding photographers out there.
Key camera parameters:
Type of camera
Many photographers would argue that compact digital cameras are ideal for beginners, as they are much easier than learning DSLR. The opposite is also true: once you learn to work with SLR cameras, then the photographer will have a device with a wide range of features and settings that are not available on digital counterparts.
Camera Price point
This factor should not be overlooked, as the price closely monitors the choice of model. It so happens that digital cameras are much cheaper than SLR cameras, even with comparable (or better) parameters. However, the latter gives greater creative freedom, which is a decisive factor in determining the type and price range.
The camera for beginners must have at least 3x magnification, as well as the ability to change lenses. These factors will significantly expand the capabilities of the photographer, at least several times.
Battery life of your camera
Even professionals sometimes have to take several photos to achieve the desired effect of the photo. Beginners often face problems in the first frame, so the autonomy that determines the number of possible photos with a full battery charge is one of the key parameters.
Availability of automatic settings
At the very beginning of using the SLR, the user will be very difficult to navigate in the settings.
Therefore, preference should be given to cameras with ready parameters for different types of shooting, be it landscape, portrait or sport.
Autofocus and exposure
Performing these two functions in automatic mode will greatly simplify the photography process for beginners.
The physical dimensions of the matrix
You should not pay much attention to the clever advertising trick for megapixels, because this feature is not so important in the mirrors. It is much more important to understand the size of the matrix – the larger it is (even at a resolution of 10 megapixels, which is enough for high-quality photos), the better the color rendering, the higher the sensitivity, and less noise even at high ISO values.
With all that said let’s continue to the best devices for beginner photographers.
Best camera for beginners: 10 top choices
The best Canon cameras for beginner photographers
- Canon EOS 2000D Kit – One of the most compact DSLR cameras. This makes Canon EOS 200 the perfect mix between the balance in costs and photo opportunities.
- Nikon D5300 – Some experts say that this is the best budget SLR camera. It’s not only with excellent photo quality, but also it has fast performance and a great feature set.
- Nikon D3500 – Easy to use and user “friendly” camera for beginners. Also, the battery is quite powerful so you will have time to snap away.
- Nikon D7200 – This is a great camera—comfortable, durable, easy to navigate, with fast focus and processing speeds and 24 megapixels of impeccable image quality without an optical low pass filter. Furthermore, there is a video recording function with duration. It also comes with a waterproof case.
- Nikon D610 – A great benefit of this one is the full-frame matrix of 24 megapixels. Coupled with two SD card slots, the D610 offers great image quality and can create beautiful shots.
The best other brands cameras for beginner photographers
- Pentax K-70 – If you chose this one over some of the more popular brands you will get one of the clearest images out there. Not to mention that the price is quite reasonable.
- Sony a7 III ILCE7M3 – If you pair it with a good lens you can dive into landscape photography and night shooting and the Sony a7 III will produce a great quality shot.
The best mirrorless camera for beginner photographers
- Fujifilm X-T100 – If you have a vintage aesthetic and you enjoy original retro design and great quality this one is for you. Another winning feature is the diopter correction.
We hope we’ve made it easier for you to choose the camera you need. Follow your passion and one day it might become your profession. For some extra inspiration don’t forget to read “10 Ways to Earn Money as a Freelance Photographer”
Follow us on Pinterest!
We only recommend products that we genuinely loved. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.